In an environment of continuous quality improvement, the Assistant Teacher is responsible for assisting in the planning and implementation of a developmentally based curriculum for children ages 6 weeks through 5 years of age. Must be flexible in scheduled work hours to meet staffing needs of the center. Understands and implements State of Ohio Licensing Standards in the classroom and outdoor environment. Exhibits the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercises strict confidentiality at all times.
· High school diploma, GED or equivalent required
· AA/AS degree in Early Childhood development or completion of other related program (i.e. CDA) preferred
· Completion or Enrollment in AA/AS program in Early Childhood Development or other related program highly desirable
· Certification in First Aid, Infant/Toddler CPR, Communicable Disease, and Child Abuse Awareness required
· Good interpersonal skills
· Good verbal and written communication skills
1. Assists lead teacher in the development and implementation of developmentally appropriate lesson plans that meet the needs of the children in the assigned classroom. Helps lead teacher provide a stimulating environment that encourages experimentation, exploration, problem solving, cooperation, socialization, and choice-making for all children.
2. Assists lead teacher with preparing and maintaining daily, weekly and monthly records related to attendance, skill development, lesson plans, screening, assessments, IEP's, accidents and incidents, and medication administration.
3. Participates and assists in parent-teacher conferences by providing written and verbal information to parents concerning the child's progress, abilities and areas of concern. Refers issues to lead teacher as needed.
4. Assists in the supervision of children in a variety of settings that include indoor and outdoor play experiences. Attends to the physical needs of the children including, but not limited to diapering, feeding and comforting as needed.
5. Incorporates health and safety standards for the children and adults into the daily overall program. Ensures cleanliness of classroom environment. Understands and practices correct emergency procedures and assists the children and other adults if an emergency occurs. Assists with meals and snacks.
6. Maintains competence in the Early Childhood Development field through in-service training, continuing education, and broadening experiences. Attends and participates in staff and parent meetings, and center events.
7. Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary.