In an environment of continuous quality improvement, the Pharmacy Technician I is responsible for performing technical and clerical duties essential for the efficient operation of the pharmacy department. Exhibits the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercises strict confidentiality at all times.
· Certification as a National or State of Ohio Pharmacy Technician through the National Healthcareer Association and/or the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board required
· Registered as a Pharmacy Technician with the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy
· If currently registered in another state, will register as a Pharmacy Technician Trainee prior to start date, and become registered as a Certified Pharmacy Technician within 60 days of employment
· Typing, interpersonal skills, and some computer knowledge
1. Pharmacy Operations: Communicates with pharmacists, physicians, nursing staff, and other pharmacy technicians to ensure the delivery of high quality patient care. Appropriately initiates billing functions such as debiting and crediting. Provides guidance and training to new pharmacy staff as needed. Performs nursing unit and medication storage audits assigned by pharmacy supervisor.
2. Medication handling: Fills and delivers medications in a timely and efficient manner. Prepares sterile products following all necessary regulations and precautions including USP 797. Repackages pharmaceuticals as needed. Manages department and unit inventory by anticipating medication needs, placing medication orders, and managing outdated medications. Pyxis activities include restocking, new loads, expiration date checking, inventory management, and troubleshooting as required.Fills and delivers medication and physician orders in a timely and efficent manner.
3. Performs additional duties as required by the pharmacy director and pharmacy supervisor.
4. Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary.