In an environment of continuous quality improvement, the Scheduler is responsible for quality patient care in which orders are received by phone, fax and by electronic lists through the EMR. Exhibits the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercises strict confidentiality at all times.
· High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent required
· Associate's Degree in Medical Office Administration preferred
· Minimum of 1 year experience in a hospital or medical practice in registration dealing with insurance issues and/or scheduling experience preferred
· Previous education in medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, or graduate/certification from medical office program preferred
· Ability to read, write and do math as generally demonstrated by a high school diploma or GED
· Typing, spelling, basic medical terminology, interpersonal skills and familiarity with computers
· Ability to accurately gather and interpret data related to the patients scheduled testing and the registration process
· Ability to communicate with patients and family members in stressful situations
· Ability to professionally represent the hospital to patients, physician offices, and family members
· Excellent communication skills in written and oral form
1. Maintains knowledge of all modalities and scheduling exam/visits for Memorial Health System.
2. Schedules any of the modalities listed below: PT/OT, Speech, Infusion, Physician offices, Radiology, Vascular, Cath lab, Oncology, Sleep Lab, EMG.
3. Schedules appointments for patients as ordered from providers by incoming calls, faxed orders and from the electronic lists.
4. Schedules appointments appropriately based off of the order from the providers and according to the scheduling policies.
5. Accurately interprets written and verbal orders from providers.
6. Requests appropriate orders based on the requirements set forth in the Order Policy.
7. Uses electronic lists appropriately within those software based on policies/guidelines to determine when and how to send back to the provider for clarification.
8. Verifies insurance, copay or coinsurance, and properly pre-register patients when appropriate. Works with PFA's and the precertification department when certain guidelines are met.
9. Learns computer programs used in centralized scheduling.
10. Completes required competencies.
11. Handles all aspects of scheduling including but not limited to: scheduling office appointments, retrieving faxed referral forms and orders, finding appointments, handling patient referrals, coordinating procedure scheduling.
12. Processes and files correspondences, reports, office notes, and same day scanned orders into patients EHR.
13. Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary.
1. Maintains office records and logs as directed by Practice Management Supervisor.
2. Prepares and completes patient charts and schedule procedures (professional/technical).
3. Performs the duties as scheduler/receptionist to ensure the efficient management of the daily schedule and clinic schedule.
4. Handles all clerical functions including positive office image, communication, patient and office needs.
5. Maintains files and provides supportive services to the overall efficient functioning of the medical practice.