Bioinformatics Staff Scientist I
· Performs basic to intermediate level bioinformatics and statistical analysis for research projects with guidance from scientific management, senior bioinformaticians.
· Receives training on NGS pipeline analysis, and independently carries out routine QC checks/analysis on NGS data delivered by molecular vendors within specified time window, for ORIEN Avatar and other collaboration projects.
· Performs pipeline NGS analyses on raw sequencing data and variant filtering and annotation using public or private databases as needed.
· Works collaboratively and with minimal supervision with investigators for analysis and interpretation of data including detailed reports, quality control, data visualization and assistance with manuscript preparation and grant submissions.
· Provides development and integration of analysis pipelines including integration with other shared resources technology platforms.
· Utilizes open source tools and develops novel tools and visualization approaches for data analysis and interpretation.
· Serves as a resource for investigators and project team regarding bioinformatics approaches and tools.
The Ideal Candidate demonstrates:
· Ability to collaborate with biologists and biostatisticians to develop and apply novel bioinformatics approaches using tools such as: C, C++, PERL, HTML, JAVA, XML, Python, Bioconducter, MATLAB is strongly desired and familiarity with SQL database tools.
· Experience in linux/high performance computing cluster environment would be a plus.
· Ability to collaborate on projects and engage investigators, scientific staff and biostatisticians.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective collaborative research relationships with others and to contribute to ongoing research projects requiring bioinformatics support and communicate clearly verbally and in writing.
· Ability to perform data analysis to support research projects
· Implement and develop QC/QA pipeline for NGS data
· Implement NGS analysis pipeline and execute NGS analysis tasks
· Design, develop and implement bioinformatics solutions for data analysis and interpretation
· Analyze, prepare and report data to collaborators/PIs
· Must maintain accurate and appropriate records of scientific analysis, core usage and time management
· Possess and display excellent written and verbal communication skills in all methods of communications to both external and internal end users.
· Must be able to perform with adequate supervision and follow project deliverables and timelines.
Credentials and Qualifications:
· M.S degree in biological/physical science field of study.