· Responsible for rapid data abstraction, data management and data analysis in the ORIEN & M2Gen Data Systems in compliance with ORIEN & project-level guidelines consistent with the American College of Surgeon's Commission on Cancer accreditation program and other mandated reporting requirements.
· Responsible for data retrieval, data comprehension and data integration in the full spectrum of all disease sites of cancer (Diagnosis; Clinical and Pathological Staging; SEER Summary Staging and Treatment Coding and classification).
· Training of M2Gen and ORIEN Member Site abstraction staff may be required. Some business travel may be required
The Ideal Candidate:
· Knowledge of tumor nomenclature and classification with ability to code topography and morphology is required.
· Utilizes critical thinking skills to review and interpret patient documentation for the purpose of abstracting.
· Must be proficient and very familiar with the National Comprehensive Cancer Network's (NCCN) guidelines in treatment and indications for the choice of therapy (surgery, radiation, chemotherapy, hormonal, immunotherapy).
· Ability to comprehensively review the medical record and determine the appropriate plan of treatment for each patient in order to seek out the required treatment information.
Credentials and Qualifications:
· An Associate's Degree in Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Public Health, Health Sciences, Epidemiology, Computer Science, or other related field OR In lieu of AA degree, HS/GED with 2 additional years cancer registry experience
· BS Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Public Health, Health Sciences, Epidemiology, Computer Science, RN, or other related field strongly preferred.
· CTR (Certified Tumor Registrar) Certification Required
· Minimum three (3) years or more cancer registry abstracting or oncology experience and medical record review, Minimum three (3) years or more cancer registry abstracting experience in an American College of Surgeon's Commission on Cancer NCI designated or teaching/research approved program preferred.
· Minimum three (3) years or more experience in analyzing, coding and abstracting medical records.
· Experience utilizing database technology and EMR (Electronic Medical Records) system.
· Minimum three (3) years or more working knowledge of medical technology
· Minimum three (3) years or more working with Microsoft Office and other PC database applications.
· Oncology specific technology
· Strong typing skills.
· Demonstration of strong verbal, written, listening and analytical skills.
· Ability to work with minimal supervision in a quickly changing environment.
· Relevant experience as outlined above in research, academic, scientific or healthcare community.