Moffitt Cancer Center's Thoracic Oncology Program specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer, thymoma, mesothelioma, tracheal cancer, Pancoast tumors and other thoracic malignancies. Because of our exclusive focus on this particular range of cancers, we're able to provide each patient with an individualized treatment recommendation that gives them the best possible prognosis – not to mention the best possible quality of life. Our survival rates routinely exceed national averages, a product of our exceptional level of expertise and multispecialty approach to treatment.
Our Thoracic Oncology Program is based on a collaboration of a number of experienced specialists, including medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pulmonologists, pathologists and thoracic surgeons. This diverse team provides a comprehensive range of services. Our Thoracic Oncology Clinic cares for 80-90 patients a day, where patients can access:
- Diagnostic and staging tests, including pathology and imaging services with results interpreted by radiologists who specialize in thoracic readings
- Molecular tumor profiling to determine the most promising treatments for each patient's unique genetic tumor makeup
- Chemotherapy, including oral and intravenous options and innovative drug combinations
- Radiation therapy, including stereotactic precision-targeted radiation delivery techniques
- Surgery, including minimally invasive, video-assisted and robotic procedures
- Supportive care, including nutrition consultations, pulmonology support, smoking cessation and pain management
- Screening services, including low-dose CT scanning and multi-specialist tumor board peer reviews, for which we have been named a Screening Center of Excellence by the Lung Cancer Alliance
- Access to the latest clinical trials, including immunotherapy and targeted therapy treatments
The Thoracic Oncology Clinic is currently looking for a Registered Nurse to join our team.
· The Registered Nurse delivers individualized quality nursing care to cancer patients and families in accordance with established hospital guidelines, nursing professional practice model, nursing care standards and policies and in accordance with ANA code of ethics and external regulatory agencies.
· Registered Nurses embody the vision, mission, and philosophy of Moffitt Nursing and are committed to and accountable for personalized patient and family centered care and the concepts of Duffy's quality caring model/caring factors. These frameworks of care include: collaboration and mutual problem solving, dignity and human respect, encouraging manner, attentive reassurance, appreciation of unique meaning, healing environment, basic human needs, information sharing, caring for self, and affiliation needs.
· Registered Nurses use the nursing process to effectively plan and manage quality patient care. Biophysical, psychosocial, environmental, self-care, educational and discharge planning needs are addressed in all steps of the nursing process. This is demonstrated in base-line and comparative documentation, entered in a timely manner, and with evidence of age-appropriate consideration when care is planned, delivered, and evaluated.
The Ideal Candidate
· The ideal candidate will have experience in the following:
o Performing thorax drainage
o Teaching patients to perform self-drainage with PleurX Catheter.
o Pre and Post surgery patient thoracic and esophagus education
o Outpatient clinic setting experience
· Uses the nursing process to assess, plan, and evaluate the care of cancer patients and families. Integrates patient and family centered care and the quality caring factors into practice
· Identifies, documents, and provides patient education based on learning needs of the patient
· Participates in Evidence based improvement activities related to area of practice
· Participates in professional development based on the nursing professionals standards, regulatory requirements, and job expectations
Credentials and Qualifications:
· BSN from an ACEN or CCNE accredited institution with at least two years of relevant experience or ASN from an ACEN or CCNE accredited institution with 2 years of relevant experience and enrolled to complete BSN from an ACEN or CCNE within 3 years of hire
· FL RN License
· BLS Certification