High school graduate.
Experience in office procedures required.
Well developed communication and interpersonal relationship skills.
Intermediate office and clerical skills with high degree of accuracy.
Proficiency in word processing with knowledge of data processing.
Minimum typing speed of 45 wpm with accuracy.
Working knowledge of medical terminology.
Experience in use of multi-line phones.
Previous experience in patient care or public contact setting desired.
Must be able to meet the physical requirements of this position.
May be supervised by physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, occupational therapists or coordinator. Will have working relationships with other hospital personnel, patient, family/caregiver and public. Reports directly to the Manager or Director of Rehab Services. May report to Office Coordinator depending upon site location. Daily autonomous work setting, with monitoring and support from Manager or Coordinator.
AGE OF PATIENTS SERVED:
Must treat patients of all ages (e.g. infants, children, adolescents, adults, geriatrics.)
- Responsible for scheduling initial and series of patient treatments per established department protocol. Coordinates appointments between the disciplines if patient is receiving more than one; also coordinates therapy appointments with patient's established visits to other Munson services. Problem solves difficult scheduling scenarios according to department protocol and communicates conflicts with clinicians or coordinator.
- May provide information to promote patient understanding of procedures and treatments. Assists in transferring patient care to other MMC rehabilitation departments when appropriate (i.e. KMHC, LMHC, POMH, MCHC, MMC Rehab, etc.) Confirms evaluation appointment with all new patients or their caregivers by telephone.
- Answers multi-line phones and directs inquiries as appropriate. Receives documentation over facsimile machine and distributes/files appropriately.
- Greets patients and visitors in friendly, helpful manner. Instructs/Assists new patients in completion of patient summary list and therapy initial history form. Explains assignment of benefits to patients and obtains signature. Notifies patient of non-coverage issues as appropriate.
- Obtains information from physician offices, case managers, and/or other rehabilitation facilities necessary for patient treatment and accurate registration. Sends necessary documentation to physicians for recertification. Utilizes computer software to assign appropriate ICD9 codes according to physician's order. Completes insurance certification and recertification for services.
- Records/enters daily charges in accordance with established procedures for physical therapy. Assures accuracy of charge entry. Works with Business Office and Patient Access Services to assure accuracy of account registration and billing.
- Prepares the equipment for therapist use and cleans up the area and puts away equipment following the treatment. Prepares patient for treatment by assisting w/ clothing &/or equipment such as braces, safety belts, and splints. Following completion of appropriate training will set patients up for treatment with hot pack, cervical and pelvic traction, cold pack, and electrical stimulation. Transports patients in a safe and timely manner.
- Maintains records on current patients and files in proper sequence. Prints daily schedules from Encompass computer scheduling system, pulls and distributes patient charts for clinicians. Provides copies of medical records as requested. Discharges account from Star at patient discharge.
- Responsible for general filing to patient chart, photocopying, and limited typing. Orders office supplies and maintains stock. Receives, sorts and distributes department mail. Maintains neat appearance of department by putting away equipment and other general light housekeeping duties that need to be performed at the specific location in between schedule housekeeper cleaning services.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.