- Masters Degree in Social Work from a CSWE (Counsel on Social Work Education) accredited college or university OR a Bachelor’s Degree in Social work from a CSWE accredited college or university.
- Minimum three years experience in a medical setting, preferably in an acute care hospital.
- Must be eligible for licensure as a Social Worker with the State of Michigan and obtain licensure within a prescribed period of time.
- Case management certification preferred, or certification obtained within three years of employment unless an individual holds a Master Degree in Social Work or Nursing.
- Practices in accord with National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics.
- Recent experience in utilization and/or discharge planning in an acute care setting is strongly preferred.
- Must have the ability to utilize software relevant to the job.
· Demonstrates effective and functional supervision and leadership skills.
- Must have the ability to work in a high volume caseload environment and deal effectively with rapidly changing priorities.
Reports to the Manager of Social Services and/or the Manager of Utilization Management.
POPULATIONS SERVED COMPETENCIES, INCLUDING AGE OF PATIENTS SERVED
Cares for patients in the age category(s) checked below:
__Neonatal (birth-1 mo) __Young adult (18 yr-25 yrs)
__Infant (1 mo-1 yr) __Adult (26 yrs-54 yrs)
__ Early childhood (1 yr-5 yrs) __ Sr. Adult (55 yrs-64 yrs)
__Late childhood (6 yrs-12 yrs) __Geriatric (65 yrs & above)
__Adolescence (13 yrs-17 yrs) _X All ages (birth & above)
- Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare
- Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare.
- Promotes personal and patient safety.
- Has basic understanding of Relationship-Based Care (RBC) principles, meets expectations outlined in Commitment To My Co-workers, and supports RBC unit action plans.
- Uses effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times.
- Assists in providing services to restore optimal social and health adjustment within the patient’s capabilities. Assists patients and families in developing effective strategies in coping with acute/chronic illness, hospitalization and treatment.
- Assesses and documents information pertinent to the patient’s current health status and need for relevant resources.
- Assesses and documents the resources and cost of services, providers available with Home Care benefits.
- Interacts with the patients and families in the development of a comprehensive and timely transitional plan that is realistic, patient oriented, and time specific.
- Enacts transitional plan that moves the patient along with the care continuum, effectively working with the community to identify and allocate post discharge needs.
- Develops collaborative relationship s with providers including those pertaining to vocational needs and disability compensation.
- Participates in concurrent performance improvement efforts to assist in implementing the measures that impact quality care outcomes.
- Evaluates outcome related to the case management process including length of stay, readmissions, patient satisfaction and financial variances. Reports pertinent variances.
- Assures compliance with certification requirements of regulatory agencies.
- Maintains standards of professional practice, strict confidentiality, conflict resolution, negotiation skills, advocacy and ethics.
- Adheres to department and organizational policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.