In this role, he/she will be responsible for the functions in various areas as needed to assist patients with orthopedic needs. Duties will include but not limited to the following:
- Assists with the closed reduction of fractures and dislocations in the department as assigned, Emergency Department, Outpatient Clinics, Floors and the OR.
- Is responsible for the application/removal and/or assisting with the application/removal of casts as ordered by the physician.
- Checks casts on in-patients as directed by physicians and nursing, trims and pads casts, as directed. Checks condition of extremities for signs and symptoms of circulation or sensations impairment and reports such to the physician and/or the nurse in charge of the unit.
- Instruct patients in cast care, crutch walking, cane use, CAM walker application, home traction, etc.
- Applies slings and dressings as ordered by the physician.
- Assembles, sets up and applies traction as ordered by the physician.
- Checks traction daily on all patients as ordered by the physician.
- Removes traction on pre-op patients as ordered by physician.
- Inspects, maintains, orders and inventories all traction and orthopedic equipment in the Emergency and Outpatient Departments and Central Supply.
- Maintains daily orthopedic site log for weekly submission to department Office Manager/Director.
- Keeps cast rooms in the ER and Outpatient Departments stocked, orderly and ready to use.
- Checks all fracture beds, trapeze equipment and orthopedic devices replacing any parts, as needed.
- High School Diploma or Equivalency required.
- Candidate must be trained in the use of orthopedic equipment, procedures and patient education
- Minimum two (2) years of previous experience as a nursing assistant, medical technician or other related other health care experience required
- Excellent communication skills required.