The ICU Director is responsible for the twenty-four (24) hour planning, organizing, directing and controlling of the daily operations and clinical practice of their nursing area(s), in order to provide quality individualized patient care, to patients ranging from neonate to geriatric on the age continuum, (appropriate to their nursing area) and support of the Medical Center's Mission, Strategic Plan, and Goals and Objectives. The Nurse Manager assumes fiscal responsibility through the unit budgets, serves as a liaison with medical staff and other personnel, promotes the maximum growth and development of each employee, supports nursing research and assures patient advocacy.
· Implements and monitors operational objectives consistent with O'Connor Hospital Mission, Strategic Plan, and Goals and Objectives.
· Monitors patient care management for assigned patient care area.
· Conducts evaluative rounds to assure visibility, maintain a working knowledge of
· Unit/staff activity, assure compliance to Patient Bill of Rights, serves as both Patient and Nursing Advocate, and collaborates with physicians, support services personnel.
· Promotes inter/intra-departmental collaboration and communication in the management of clinical practice.
· Complies with Universal precautions, Hazardous Materials Management Program, Infection Control, Policies.
· Evaluates and implements staff development/education in collaboration with the Clinical Specialists, and Staff Nurse Ill's, to assure quality nursing care delivery that is based on new technologies, trends, interventions and research findings.
· Develop and implement policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of patient care/services.
· Delegate the work associated with a particular responsibility to qualified staff members.
· Uses available support services and nursing resources as necessary.
· Develops, evaluates, and monitors quality through a formalized process.
· Completes Quality Improvement activities on a quarterly basis and submits to
· Associate Director, Nursing Services and the Quality Improvement Committee.
· Analyzes data to determine issues/areas for improvement and initiates change, with staff input/participation, to assure compliance.
· Completes safety, JCAHO, etc., checklists, as necessary to assure regulatory/medical center compliance.
· Assures that all physicians performing services in the designated unit are current members of the Medical Staff at O'Connor Hospital.
· Monitors physician suspensions until cleared by the Medical Records Department.
• Preparing and monitors unit budgets, (wage, non-wage, capital, and revenue) to accomplish fiscal objectives in collaboration with staff.
• Develops systems to monitor budgets on an on-going basis and establishes mechanisms to evaluate, track and report variances.
• Responsible for assuring appropriate quality and quantity of nursing staff to meet patient care requirements and meet productivity/efficiency standards on a bi-weekly basis.
• Implements cost containment measures through:
• Instilling an attitude in staff of "work smarter not harder."
• Review historic nursing tasks that are no longer valid and implement changes based
• On new trends and research findings.
• Review/evaluate staff mix and make changes as appropriate to assure cost effective patient care delivery.
• Monitors use of overtime, supplemental staffing, and benefit utilization to determine trends and initiate changes to maintain fiscal compliance.
• Graduation from an accredited school of professional nursing.
• Baccalaureate degree in Nursing required, Master's degree preferred
• Current California licensure as a Registered Nurse required.
• Current Basic Life Support certification required.
• Current ACLS certification required.
• Stroke certification preferred.
OTHER SKILLS, ABILITIES & KNOWLEDGE:
· Knowledgeable and understanding of the California Nursing Practice Act (California Business and Professions Code 2725)
· Knowledge and implementation of all policies, procedures, guidelines, rules and regulations of Nursing Service, O'Connor Hospital, Title XXII, Joint Commission, National Patient Safety Goals and Core Measures.
· Ability to communicate clearly with both written and verbal proficiency required.
· Basic Computer Skills required