High school diploma or equivalent is required
Certified Coding Specialist
Certified Professional Coder
Registered Record Administrator (RHIA)
1+ years experience is required
JOB SUMMARY AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Ensures the accurate coding of diagnosis and operative procedures within assigned services (ancillary, clinics and emergency department). Assists with clinical and financial assessments and/or reporting for medical staff and other hospital personnel as it pertains to coding, grouping and clinical abstracting of data in accordance with established polices and procedures.
MACHINES OR EQUIPMENT OPERATED: Computer/PC, copier/fax machines and other basic equipment relevant to Health Information Management.
EDUCATION: Completion of a Health Information Management, Medical Record Technology or an approved Coding curriculum, Certified Coding Associate (CCA) or Certified Professional Coder (CPC) program. Related combination of education/experience may be utilized.
EXPERIENCE: One (1) year outpatient coding experience or combination of training and/or experience required in identifying and verifying diagnosis, accurately assigning, code and abstract outpatient services and resolve coding issues within an acute care facility.
- Thorough knowledge of classification and nomenclature, anatomy, medical terminology and medical records procedures and practices required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ICD-9/ICD-10, CPT coding with the ability to interpret coding guidelines as well as state and federal laws governing the release of information.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with others to acquire needed information and maintain cooperative work relationships with HIM, hospital and medical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize computer system to enter and retrieve patient information data.
- Must be able to pass a coding assessment exam. Proficiency and advancement to Coding Specialist II within 24 months required.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATION: Registered Record Administrator (RHIA), Accredited Record Technician (RHIT), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) or Certified Coding Apprentice (CCA) from AHIMA, Certified Professional Coder (CPC) or Certified Professional Coder-Apprentice (CPC-A) from AAPC required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires concentration and constant technical attention to accuracy and details for extended periods of time.