Graduation from Approved/Accredited Nursing School
JOB SUMMARY AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse and in compliance with established nursing procedures and policies, provides nursing care to patient within assigned Specialty clinic. Prepares for and assists with procedures in the specialty clinic as required.
1. Provides nursing care according to medical regime and the nursing intervention appropriate for the patients' conditions and according to standards, policies and procedures including care of the GI, ENT/Oral, Surgical Service or other patients requiring a covered procedure.
a. Collects key information from patient, family, laboratory, and other medical reports.
- Determines which standards of care and practice apply to the patient.
- Administers to the overall physical and emotional needs of patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge and technical, interpersonal and critical thinking skills to provide care, maintain clinical competency and meet age-specific patient needs within the unit.
- Manages the movement of patients to achieve an even flow and maximize the use of staff and provider time.
2. Assists physicians, registered nurse and other members of health team with interventions, procedures and examinations.
3. Performs therapeutic nursing interventions:
a. as ordered by the physician and under the direction of the Registered Nurse
b. consistent with primary and population-specific standards of care and practice and/or clinical priorities for care determined by the RN
c. consistent with patient care policies and procedures, demonstrated competencies, and with consideration given to risk management, infection control practices, and patient safety practices.
d. consistent with the nature of the unit:
· performs triage process for completion of history
· performs venipunctures (IV certification required)
· administration of medications
· prepares patient for examination/procedures
· assembles/set up equipment and machines
· provides assistance during examination/procedures
· pain control interventions/pain management measures
· monitors patient responses during treatment/procedure
· collects and labels appropriately all specimens per policy
· initiates appropriate action in response to emergency care
· coordinates patient referrals
· performs patient education
· coordinates discharge planning & instructions
4. Performs clinical rounds; identifies and documents patient needs and/or changes in condition and communicates findings to the Registered Nurse.
5. Demonstrates ability to manage the care of patients with conditions common to the unit, including:
· care of patient undergoing procedures
· care of patient with altered mental status
6. Prepares equipment/supplies and assists physician during treatments, procedures and examinations. Performs specialized duties applicable to GI, ENT/Oral, Surgical Services, etc. including telemetry monitoring.
7. Responds and/or participates with medical emergencies. Initiates and/or assists with CPR/BLS as required.
8. Provides teaching to patient/family in the care of disease/condition. Implements patient teaching outlines including objectives, content, teaching strategies and evaluation of patient progress.
9. Maintains patient medical records; documents patient status and care given; performs charting duties; records activities and observations. Utilizes patient computer systems to enter and retrieve data.
10. Confers and works collaboratively with patient/family/hospital staff regarding all aspects of patient needs (i.e., patient admission/discharge of/transfer process, discharge planning, referrals, coordinating exams/therapy/rehab, requisitions supplies, obtains medical records, etc.) in a customer responsive and courteous manner, in compliance with iRESPECT Standards and promoting patient/customer satisfaction.
11. Transports monitored patients, specimens, equipment and supplies to and from various areas.
12. Collaborates with forensic team and security to provide safe environment for patients in custody.
13. Provides support to nursing and other ancillary personnel to complete the initial and ongoing assessments of patients and to provide clinical assistance as needed. Assists in the orientation and supervision of new staff members and students when they provide patient care, treatment, and services as part of their training.
14. Completes required continuous training and education, including department specific requirements.
a. Attends staff meetings, all mandatory in-service and additional continuing education as required.
b. Responds to problems/opportunities to improve care.
c. Supports and is involved in the organization's Performance Improvement initiatives.
15. Maintains a clean, orderly, safe environment for patients and personnel. Adheres to established policies, compliance/quality improvement, and safety, environment and infection control standards.
16. Prepares and maintains required records, reports and files for administrative and compliance purposes.
17. Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
MACHINES OR EQUIPMENT OPERATED: Nursing and patient care equipment utilized in the performance of the duties of the Licensed Practical Nurse including i.e., IV regulators, chest tube attachments, BP and oxygen monitors, Dinemaps and portable manual blood pressure cuffs.
EDUCATION: Graduate of an approved LPN program. Qualified by education, training or experience to work with the adolescent, adult and/or geriatric patient population as specialty assignment dictates.
EXPERIENCE: Experience in patient care as obtained through completion of a LPN program. An ability and willingness to apply nursing knowledge and skills and maintain clinical competency as required in assigned specialty/procedure unit. Demonstrates appropriate knowledge and skills necessary to perform the triage function. Demonstrates skill in the use of applicable equipment; mature judgment and initiative required; shows professional interest through self-development, continuing education, and involvement in professional organizations; presents a positive attitude and professional appearance. Ability to give and follow written and oral instructions; ability to communicate effectively with others; ability to react and perform under stress in emergency situations; ability to effectively record and reflect observations; ability to exercise analytical judgment on work to be done.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATION: Licensed Practical Nurse to work in the state of TN. Current CPR/BLS certification required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Prolonged standing and walking; lifting, turning patients and equipment; repeated bending, squatting and stooping; exposure to infectious agents. Visual acuity is needed to assess color changes, to verify accuracy of written materials, and to administer and accurately prepare medications.