Seton Medical Center has a long tradition of providing patient-centered, quality care. Founded in 1893, the 357-bed medical center now serves 1.5 million residents of San Francisco and northern San Mateo County with comprehensive inpatient and outpatient medical specialties, as well as emergency and urgent care services. Its sister facility, Seton Coastside, is a 116-bed skilled nursing complex offering inpatient care and the only 24-hour standby Emergency Department on the Pacific Coast between Daly City and Santa Cruz. Both facilities receive ongoing philanthropic support from generous individuals and organizations that serve the community through the Seton Medical Center Foundation.
The Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), is a member of the health care team who assists in the delivery of total patient care, under the direction of a Registered Nurse (RN) or Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN).
MAJOR JOB OBJECTIVES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides routine care as outlined in the CNA skills checklist.
• Promptly reports to Team Leader any pertinent observation or factors affecting delivery of routine patient care including family complaints and unusual incidences.
• Assists in preparation of patients' rooms and beds for admission, transfers or discharges. Accompanies patient as needed.
• Prepares patients for meals, sets up patient trays, assists in feeding patients as necessary, positions patients to avoid choking and ease in eating, and distributes water and other nourishments according to patient's needs, regularly provide patients with fresh water. Accurately estimates percentages of meal consumed. Knows which patients are NPO or on restricted diets.
• Makes rounds on assigned patients regularly and as needed. Answers patient call lights immediately (whether assigned patient or not), and anticipates patient's needs.
• Provides patient's activity and comfort per mobility protocol.
• Ensures that all personal articles are secured on admission and returned to patient upon discharge. Provides education regarding correct storage of valuables, eyeglasses, and dentures; use of bed control, nurse call light system, and location of bathroom.
• Evidence of ability to manage time effectively and set priorities while maintaining flexibility.
• Provides for patient privacy at all times, closes curtain and/or room for all procedures. Maintains confidentiality of patients & organization information per HIPAA mandate.
• Consistently demonstrates awareness of patient rights.
• Willing to perform or offers to perform assignments/tasks/errands as request by the Nurse Manager. Willingly accepts re-assignment to other units as required.
• Assist with orientation of new personnel to the unit as assigned.
• Completes work left from the previous shift and reports all incomplete assignments to ensure continuity of care. Cooperates and offers assistance to other staff in order to complete all work assignments.
• Reports off duty to Team Leader before leaving the unit at anytime; does not leave the unit at the end of the shift unless released by the Team Leader/Nurse Manager.
• Demonstrates a reliable and dependable ability to follow-through with designated responsibilities in the collecting, labeling and transporting of specimens.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Current CA Certified Nurse Assistant certificate
• Current BLS Certification from American Heart Association
• Completion of an Acute Care C.N.A. program preferred
• One year Long Term Care experience preferred
Other Skills, Abilities & Knowledge:
• Able to understand and follow all policies, procedures, guidelines, rules and regulations of the assigned unit, Nursing Service, Seton Medical Center, Title XXII, JCHAO and other applicable state and federal laws.
• Able to work under stress and accurately perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Possesses good judgment and functions within required supervision.