Seton Medical Center has a long tradition of providing patient-centered, quality care. Founded in 1893, the 357-bed medical center now serves 1.5 million residents of San Francisco and northern San Mateo County with comprehensive inpatient and outpatient medical specialties, as well as emergency and urgent care services. Its sister facility, Seton Coastside, is a 116-bed skilled nursing complex offering inpatient care and the only 24-hour standby Emergency Department on the Pacific Coast between Daly City and Santa Cruz. Both facilities receive ongoing philanthropic support from generous individuals and organizations that serve the community through the Seton Medical Center Foundation.
The Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) provides appropriate nursing care under the direction of the Registered Nurse (RN) in compliance with the standards of care at Seton Medical Center and Seton Medical Center - Coastside and the LVN Nurse Practice Act; demonstrates respect for the individual and maintains the dignity of the patient and family unit.
MAJOR JOB OBJECTIVES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Care for all types of patients and perform those skills and procedures taught in an accredited program of vocational nursing. Perform all care within the scope of practice for vocational nurses and as practices at Seton Medical Center.
· Appropriately assess and document the patient's initial condition and assesses and documents ongoing changes. Participate in patient interventions, plans for care and evaluation of care.
· Plan and initiate patient teaching as related to the patient's illness. Includes teaching and psychosocial interventions with both patients and family.
· Participate and document discharge planning for the patient on initial admission and throughout hospital stay.
· Participate in unit based quality assurance activities.
· Administer and monitor the effects of medications as prescribed by a physician and in accordance with practice at Seton Medical Center.
· Perform venipuncture following the standards of practice at Seton Medical Center.
· Demonstrate safety-conscious behavior consistent with the Safety Program.
· Demonstrate ability to document information in the patient record accurately and in a timely, concise manner.
· Demonstrate participation in professional self-development.
· Use effective oral and written skills to communicate with other members of the health care team as well as patients and their families.
· Show appropriate leadership skills while directing other members of the health care team.
· Perform other appropriate duties as assigned by a Registered Nurse.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
· Graduation from an accredited School of Licensed Vocational Nursing
· Current California licensure as a Licensed Vocational Nurse.
· Current BLS certification through the American Heart Association for the Healthcare Provider
· Senior Licensed Vocational Nurses must have successfully completed courses in Intravenous Therapy approved by the State Board, and Pharmacology as recognized by the Board of Vocational Nurses and other unit specific certifications. All Licensed Vocational Nurses must complete IV certification within six (6) months of hire.
· Previous experience preferred.
Other Skills, Abilities & Knowledge:
· Knowledgeable of the California Nursing Practice Act.
· Able to understand and follow all policies, procedures, guidelines, rules and regulations of Nursing Service, Seton Medical Center and Seton Medical Center - Coastside
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Proficient with computer systems including but not limited to MS Office