Opened as Mary's Help Hospital in 1912, Seton Medical Center, a 357 licensed bed facility serves the highly diverse 1.5 million residents of San Francisco and San Mateo counties with a comprehensive range of inpatient and outpatient services. Its sister hospital is Seton Coastside, a 116-bed skilled nursing facility located in the coastal town of Moss Beach. Seton Coastside offers the only 24-hour Standby Emergency Department along the 55-mile coastal stretch between Daly City and Santa Cruz.
The Pharmacy Tech provides medications, sterile and non-sterile products to inpatients and some outpatients under supervision of pharmacists.
MAJOR JOB OBJECTIVES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Fills new orders (stats and routine) accurately, efficiently and consistently.
· Fills the 24-hr cassette cart accurately, efficiently and consistently with less than 5 errors on average.
· Labels floorstock requests, crash carts, kits, etc. accurately, efficiently and consistently, assuring that patient charges are captured appropriately.
· Assists Pharmacists the processing of all orders, determining the appropriateness of dispensing certain medications or floorstock requests and exercising good judgment in the use of pharmaceutical products, e.g. missing doses, formulary vs. nonformulary, adhering to policies and guidelines, costs considerations, etc.
· Processes admission, discharge and transfer patient information accurately, efficiently and consistently.
· Updates patient allergy, height, and weight information accurately, efficiently and consistently.
· Delivers medications in an efficient and courteous manner, including stats, routines, 24-carts, crash carts, floorstock, etc.
· Answers telephone calls promptly and courteously and refers to pharmacists.
· Responds to pharmacy window promptly and courteously to help when the bell rings.
· Runs, processes and files daily reports accurately, efficiently and consistently, e.g. wastage report, cart fill list, MARs, etc.
· Inspects areas where medications are kept and ensures proper storage, expiration dates, etc. and maintains records of such inspections.
· Demonstrates proper aseptic technique and hood cleaning procedures.
· Prepares IV and TPN products accurately, efficiently and consistently with minimal wastage and appropriate labeling requirements.
· Makes IV rounds in an effective and efficient manner, uses good judgment in changing or discontinuing IV products and makes appropriate changes to the patient IV profile.
· Demonstrates proper aseptic technique, hood cleaning procedures, and protective garment use in the handling/preparation of chemotherapy agents.
· Prepares chemotherapy products accurately, efficiently and consistently with minimal wastage and appropriate labeling requirements.
· Know the policies and procedures for chemotherapy spill and exposure.
· Pre-packs and labels items not available in unit dose accurately, efficiently and consistently, in the appropriate amounts before supply runs out.
· Compounds and labels extemporaneous products using appropriate compounding technique, recipes, supplies, calculations, packaging and labeling requirements, etc.
· Uses pre-packing and compounding tools and machines appropriately and maintains their cleanliness; always cleans ups after pre-packing or compounding products.
· Refills, loads and unloads the Pyxis Medstation accurately, efficiently and consistently.
· Handles narcotic discrepancies accurately, efficiently and consistently.
· Demonstrates proper knowledge and skills in the operation of Pyxis as it relates to both nursing and pharmacy, e.g. narcotic handling and accountability, removing, returning and wasting medications, discrepancy resolution, refilling, loading/unloading, remote stock, drawer recovery, temporary patients, filing reports, etc
· Demonstrates proficiency in using the Console to resolve problems, generate various reports, etc.
· Uses good judgment and tends to emergency needs related to Pyxis, e.g. stock outs, nursing questions/complaints, drawer/machine failures, calling customer service etc. in an appropriate and efficient manner.
· Maintains an adequate inventory levels and communicates with the buyer on routine and special procurement needs.
· Ensures that medications are stored properly, rotates stock and checks for expiration dates.
· Checks in the wholesale order accurately, efficiently and consistently, noting discrepancies and reporting them to the buyer.
· Stocks up items in all areas (UD, IV, etc.) neatly and completely.
· Maintains current knowledge of key programs related to quality issues.
· Participates in and completes departmental quality assurance programs, QA/PI activities, task force, etc. as assigned.
· Directs workflow and personnel in an effective and professional manner to maintain productivity; assists others when necessary.
· Trains and supervises the activities of interns, students, volunteers and trainees to assure accurate and proficient completion of assigned tasks in an efficient and professional manner.
· Communicates areas of concern to the Director of Pharmacy.
· Discusses and contributes ideas and solutions for problems, issues or other developments pertaining to the operation of the pharmacy.
· Ensures order and cleanliness in the pharmacy.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
· Certification of technical schooling or training, California Pharmacy Technician License
· Graduate from a technical school
· Two years hospital pharmacy experience
Other Skills, Abilities & Knowledge:
· Computer Skills
· Good written and verbal communication skills