The Jefferson Residential Treatment Center is a 53-bed licensed treatment center in rural Frederick County, Maryland, for males and females ages 12 to 21 with severe emotional and behavioral problems, who are unable to live safely in the community, and need a specialized educational environment, a therapeutic milieu, and recreational and community based activities. The average length of stay at The Jefferson RTC is 11 months, with the goal of moving the adolescent back into the community as soon as they are ready.
As a Residential Counselor you will:
- Provide support to the Girls' Programs: Howell House (ages 12-15) and Luetkemeyer House (ages 16-21).
- Develop and maintain a therapeutic environment for assigned residents.
- Provide structure and supervision in support of the resident's Individualized Treatment Plan (ITP).
- Communicate with residents and develop and reinforce daily living skills.
- Supervise and participate in daily activities and assesses the daily functioning of the residential programs.
- Co-lead therapeutic and community groups as directed and document end of shift notes for residents.
- High School diploma/GED.
- Must be over 21 years of age.
- Residential Counselors are required to work either a Saturday or a Sunday from 8am-11pm and 3 weekday evening shifts from 2:45pm-10:45pm.
- All new clinical staff will begin their extended clinical orientation/training immediately following your first day of employment.
- Depending on assignment, must possess valid driver's license at time of appointment and meet SPHS requirements to operate a Health System vehicle.
- Work requires interpersonal skills sufficient to maintain a calm, supportive, and firm approach with emotionally disturbed residents; maintain patience, tact, and professional courtesy; develop and foster a positive self-image with residents.
- Work requires physical preparedness to effectively manage and physically restrain aggressive residents.
- Previous experience in a mental health setting strongly preferred.