The Jefferson Residential Treatment Center is a 53-bed licensed treatment center in rural Frederick County, Maryland, for males and females ages 12 to 21 with severe emotional and behavioral problems, who are unable to live safely in the community, and need a specialized educational environment, a therapeutic milieu, and recreational and community based activities. The average length of stay at The Jefferson RTC is 11 months, with the goal of moving the adolescent back into the community as soon as they are ready.
As a Transition Coordinator you will:
- Develop, coordinate, and implement transition plans and related activities.
- Assess students' vocational interests, prepare the transition component of the IEP, and serve as a resource to students and their parents/guardians regarding scholarship and financial aid application and access to other entitlements.
- May complete other assessments to determine instructional levels as required.
- Communicate with students based on an understanding of the developmental needs of children and/or adolescents.
- Attend departmental and school-wide meetings in order the gather and exchange information.
- Update and maintain contact with community resources, agencies, and literature.
- Depending on assignment, may be responsible for the supervision of Vocational Program Assistant(s) and/or monitoring of student interns.
- Must be over 21 years of age.
- Must have either a) master's degree in counseling, psychology or related field and possession of a Maryland State Professional Counselor license, at the certified level and by time of appointment and continuously throughout tenure in position; or b) bachelor's degree and possession of or eligibility (through application within 60 days of employment) for Maryland State Department of Education at time of appointment and continuously throughout tenure in position.
- 2+ years of experience working with behaviorally challenged adolescents. Must possess working knowledge and understanding of the principles of special education and vocational rehabilitation, use of occupational resources, vocational test administration and interpretation, and the ability to coordinate student aftercare planning with treatment team and outside agencies.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required.