The Sheppard Pratt School - Lanham is a year round special education program that provides educational services to students on the certificate track, ages five to 21, with autism spectrum disorder and other related disorders.
Our Special Education Teachers:
- Are responsible for the academic teaching and behavioral management of assigned students
- Demonstrate knowledge of age-specific student needs in instruction and create an appropriate learning environment in the classroom setting
- Monitor, evaluate, and report on students' progress
- Attend and participate in meetings
- Work cooperatively with other members of the School staff
- Bachelor's degree and at least 3 months of related teaching experience (i.e. student teaching, internships, etc.)
- Must have or be eligible for a conditional, standard professional or advanced certification with Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) at time of appointment. Candidates with a conditional certification must obtain standard professional or advanced certification within two to four years of starting in teaching role, as determined by MSDE evaluation of the individual's credentials. Must maintain MSDE certification requirements throughout tenure in position.
- Current MSDE certification in special education/secondary education and experience working with children/adolescents with autism who are low functioning/non-verbal and have severe emotional/behavioral issues strongly preferred