Purpose of Job: The Registered Nurse provides professional nursing services for the care and treatment of patients. The Registered Nurse assesses, implements and evaluates individual patient care in the ICU according to Nursing Services departmental policies, procedures and standards of care and accepts responsibility for the direction of co-workers in the implementation of the nursing care plan.
Department Description: This is a 18-bed intensive care unit admitting patients with a variety of diagnoses ranging from acute medical/surgical to immediate post-op open-heart patients.
- Assess patient condition and initiate appropriate nursing and/or medical care in accordance with established guidelines and evidence-based practice.
- Develop and update a plan of care based upon the assessment of the patient and in congruence with the medical diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Implement a plan of care and evaluate patient response to care and updates care plan.
- Document assessment and plan all care given and patient response in the patient's record.
- Delegate, directs and supervises implementation of care plan to LPN, PCT or other health care workers.
- Educate patients and families according to assessed needs and act as a liaison between members of the health care team, the patient and the patient's family.
- Communicate significant information and changes in patient's condition to appropriate members of the health care team.
- Assume the mentor role for new associates and students.
- Participate in the planning, implementation and evaluation of departmental quality improvement activities.
- Perform nursing activities in accordance with Hospital policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge and use of unit-specific equipment and appropriate supplies used in the delivery for the highest quality patient care.
- Provide a safe environment for the patient and other caregivers.
- Maintain knowledge of current trends in nursing and provides evidence of clinical competency.
- Maintain professional standards by participating in mandatory in-services and hospital/departmental requirements.
- Provides direction of department activities in the absence of the Department Manager or Assistant Department Manager.
- Demonstrate knowledge and respect patient, service provider and organizational confidentiality procedures and protocols under the HIPAA Privacy Policies and following those procedures when using or disclosing protected health information.
Working Conditions: Potential exposure to blood borne pathogens and other infectious diseases and chemical agents. Extensive walking, standing, lifting, pulling and pushing associated with patient care. Unpredictable mealtimes and breaks that are schedules around the needs of the patient. Use of latex 100% of the time and constantly exposed to latex environment. Exposure to computer CRT for prolonged periods with data entry.
Requirements: Registered Nurse with current Michigan license required. Current experience as a critical care nurse with post open-heart experience preferred or two years of med-surg experience required. ACLS certification required within one year. Able to demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide care based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety and related criteria appropriate to the age of the patient serviced. Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills to effectively and appropriately communicate with patients, families, physicians, hospital associates and external agencies. Ability to work effectively within a team. Excellent attendance and punctuality.