Performs, under minimal supervision, routine and specialized testing on patient specimens to obtain information used in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease.
• Obtains and processes specimens for laboratory testing according to department/section policy and procedures, collection of nasal swabs. Verifies accuracy of test specimen before testing.
• Applies the principles of basic and special procedures in regard to anatomy and physiology, specimen collection and specimen processing and handling.
• Has knowledge of fundamental biological characteristics, medical terminology, safety measures and infection control.
• Selects equipment, methods, appropriate Quality Control, and site for blood collection according to established procedures
• Prepares equipment and patient according to established procedures.
• Evaluates patient situation and specimen appropriateness to check for possible source error, inconsistencies, and to take corrective action according to predetermined criteria.
• Consistently practices universal precautions.
• Successful in 95% of the venipunctures
• Responds appropriately to calls. Arrives at the area requesting blood work within 10 minutes
1. Is part of a team effort to insure quality services.
2. Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns.
3. Produces quality results.
4. Continually strives to improve the quality of work.
5. Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
Customer Service Skills:
• Is cooperative in interactions, treating customers with courtesy, respect and compassion.
• Is patient when responding to questions and answers questions appropriately.
• Responds to requests in a timely manner.
• Handles interruptions in a skillful way.
• Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
• Strives to prevent/resolve customer concerns to the customer's satisfaction.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Is responsible for ongoing development of his/her work skills through the use of available resources (i.e.: in-services, formal educational programs, other work groups and on-the-job training).
• Attends and participates in staff meetings and in-services and/or reviews documentation as required.
• Assists in the orientation of others and actively participates in mentoring.
• Performs analytical and decision making functions with minimal supervision.
• Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate.
• Demonstrates an understanding of relative Hospital and all-departmental policies and procedures including safety issues.
• Possesses awareness of programs/services provided by Hospital and where they are located.
High School Diploma/GED or Equivalent related experience. Must possess the interpersonal skills necessary to interact with patients and their families as well as nursing and physician staff with kindness and empathy.
Completion of phlebotomy course with diploma preferred. Prior experience working as a phlebotomist or in a related healthcare role preferred.