Under the supervision of the Director, the technician responsible for the cleaning, assembling, sterilizing of surgical instrumentation and surgical case cart assembly in accordance with established policies and procedures. Maintains and issues sterile and non-sterile supplies and equipment to using departments
• Responsible for rotating through and performing all Central Services functions and assorted support duties in the decontamination, clean assembly, sterile storage cart assembly and linen area
• Assures that work is accomplished in a safe and technically correct manner consistent with departmental and hospital policies and procedures
• Assists in departmental quality assurance program through sterilization quality monitoring and attendance of educational and training programs and following up with supervisor when necessary
• As instruments and equipment are returned from nursing units, is responsible for cleaning and checking for completeness and that instrument/equipment is in working order
• Responsible for assembling instruments, instrument trays and utensils according to prescribed procedures and techniques
• Responsible for proper packing, handling and storing (i.e. sterile supply rotation) of all processed supplies used and/or prepared in the department.
• Responsible for following proper procedures with regard to using sterilizers and other processing equipment
• Responsible for reporting faulty instruments and equipment and deficiencies in procedure.
• Is aware of universal precaution techniques and has knowledge of proper handling of contaminated supplies and equipment
• Assists in linen distribution area as necessary
• Maintains Central Service area, including case carts, clean and orderly at all times and free of all fire and safety hazards
• Provides prompt, friendly and courteous service to using departments/visitors
• Communicates regularly with supervisor regarding workflow, problems and opportunities for cost containments.
Management of Time and Resources:
• Completes work assignments within an acceptable time frame.
• Uses time and resources to the best possible advantage for successful completion of job responsibilities.
• Develops and maintains efficient working relationships.
• Is reliable in respect to attendance.
• Is Reliable in respect to punctuality.
• Recognizes the importance of team efforts and partners with others to achieve positive outcomes.
• Is part of a team effort to insure quality services.
• Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns.
• Produces quality results.
• Continually strives to improve the quality of work.
Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS:
• Is cooperative in interactions, treating customers with courtesy, respect and compassion.
• Is patient when responding to questions and answers questions appropriately.
• Responds to requests in a timely manner.
• Handles interruptions in a skillful way.
• Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
• Strives to prevent/resolve customer concerns to the customer's satisfaction.
• High School Diploma or GED Required. Equivalent related experience will be considered as an alternative to the requirement of a High School Diploma or GED.
• Sterile Processing Certification required or a minimum of 2-3 years of prior related experience in a Sterile Processing role.