Performs diagnostic procedures as requested by physicians utilizing diagnostic ultrasound equipment to obtain high quality diagnostic images. Performs all ultrasound examinations pertinent to the Radiology/Ultrasound modality including, abdominal, obstetric, gynecologic, extremities, small parts, and minor surgical procedures (i.e. cyst aspirations and biopsies). Prepares procedure room, equipment, supplies and medications as needed. Practices Morton Hospital Customer Service standards.
• Demonstrates competency in the operation of Ultrasound equipment.
• Documents patient's history, completing the appropriate work sheets in an accurate and legible manner.
• Tests probe cleaning chemistry maintaining daily log.
• Demonstrates awareness and competence regarding patient safety.
• Properly cleans and organizes room upon completion of procedures.
• Reviews patient's records to ensure appropriateness of procedure.
• Consistently obtains diagnostic quality images demonstrating competency in all diagnostic procedures as described in Department protocols.
• Consistently checks patient's identification. Demonstrates ability to coordinate care with other members of the health care team.
• Explains the procedure to the patient and gives the patient the opportunity to ask relatives questions.
• Keeps patient and family members informed of progress and/or delays associated with their procedure.
• Completes the annual education in Steward University.
• Notifies supervisor of supply shortages, equipment malfunctions and problematic situations within the department.
• Readily and willingly contributes to a team approach in order to provide the best patient care and service.
• Always checks and completes the status change in the Meditech system as the patient exam is completed.
• Scans worksheets into PACS system.
• Employee will comply with the principles of Infection Control an Aseptic Technique
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Is responsible for ongoing development of his/her work skills through the use of available resources (i.e.: inservices, formal educational programs, other work groups and on-the-job training},
• Attends and participates in staff meetings and inservices and/or reviews documentation as required.
• Assists in the orientation of others and actively participates in mentoring.
• Performs analytical and decision making functions with minimal supervision.
• Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate.
• Demonstrates an understanding of relative Hospital and all-departmental policies and procedures including safety issues.
• Possesses awareness of programs/services provided by Hospital and where they are located.
Required Qualifications: Ultrasound Technologist
• Documented training and experience in ultrasonography
• Current BLS certification
• Current ARDMS registered certification with RDMS designation and/or current ARRT registered certification in Sonography with RT(S) designation and/or completion of SPI Physics and eligibility for ARDMS within 9 months of hire or transfer in any specialty of ARDMS.
For technologists primarily performing vascular sonography
• Current ARDMS registered certification in Vascular Technology with RVT designation and/or current CCI registered certification as a Registered Vascular Specialist with RVS designation and/or current ARRT registered certification in Vascular Sonography with RT(VS) designation**
** required within 9 months for new hires; required for all current employees within 9 months of effective date of transfer