Histology technician prepares tissues and cytology specimens as required by the pathologist. Process tissues and fluids according to the needs of the pathologist. This includes embedding specimens, sectioning tissue blocks, staining, cover slipping and preparing frozen sections as required. Performs a variety of special stains (level I,II,III),using up-to-date technology accurately and with high quality results. Maintain the histopathology area including all instruments, stains and processing material in compliance with the guidelines established by the various regulatory agencies involved with the inspection and certification of the laboratory of Saint Anne's Hospital.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Must possess good communication and organizational skills
- Must be able to work independently and possess good judgment, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Assists in the orientation of others and actively participates in mentoring.
- Performs analytical and decision making functions with minimal supervision.
- Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate.
- Demonstrates an understanding of relative hospital and departmental policies and procedures including safety issues.
- Possesses awareness of programs/services provided by hospital and where they are located.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and in-services.
- Follows established hospital, laboratory, departmental and OSHA standards, policies, procedures and precautions in the performance of all job duties to ensure a safe work environment for self and others.
- Establishes own work plan and priorities. Consults with and keeps supervisor informed of activities and needs using the established procedures to ensure timely completion of assigned work in conformance with established policies and standards.
- Performs a variety of special stains (level I,II,III),using up-to-date technology accurately and with high quality results.
- Assemble supplies and equipment and assure proper functioning and cleanliness of equipment and work areas.
All other duties as assigned