Related course work is strongly preferred.
Certification is preferred.
Computer skills are required.
Customer service skills are required.
Experience is required.
The Medical Assistant is a member of the health care team who assists the professional care givers in providing quality care to patients.
- Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards.
- Functions in the role of Medical Assistant on the health care team as assigned by the Director and Clinical Staff
- Responsible for interacting with the patient in the collection of vital information pertinent to the care of the patient.
- Duties will also include answering telephones, scheduling appointments in AthenaNet, and scanning documents in eCW.
- Performs work to meet schedules and to facilitate quality team health care to patients
- Reports significant observations and patient problems to professional care givers
- Maintains confidentiality of patients' information and health records
- Provides and maintains a clean, orderly, and safe environment
- Attends in-service programs appropriate to clinical areas
- Performs non-nursing functions which impact and contribute to the quality of patient care as directed by the Clinical Staff
- Terminal cleaning and infection control as needed
- Pulls and prepares charts ensuring that proper chart has been selected and appropriate paperwork (e.g. encounter form) is attached.
- Functions in role of Medical Assistant through communication with the patient and entering the following documentation for the clinician:
- Chief Complaint
- Medication List
- Medical and surgical history
- Risk factors
- Immunization history
- Routine health maintenance history
- Records vital signs, height and weight each visit in eCW
- Provider when patient is in the exam room and preliminary entrees in eCW are complete.
- Prepares the daily schedules for the office.
- Prepares the patient and equipment; chaperoning patients as needed
- Schedules out patient procedures and testing for patients as directed
- Reports significant observations and patient problems through proper channels
- Works with healthcare team to manage patient flow
- Maintains confidentiality of patient records and problems; treats patients and families with respect
- Provides clinical information as necessary for prior authorizations
- Performs quality control, as necessary
- Provides and maintains supplies, equipment, and linen for the assigned clinical areas
- At the direction of the LPN Coordinator, provides patient care support including but no limited to:
- Arranges Ameritox and other drug screen tests.
- Orders respiratory equipment and DME for home use.
- Sets up MD home visit schedule. Arranges home lab draws, tests and equipment.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Must maintain the confidentiality and security of hospital, medical, staff and patient-related data and information.
- Accountable for observing all policies and procedures of the medical practice, and infection control.
- High School diploma
- Successful completion of Medical/Nursing Assistant Program or comparable work experience.
- Previous experience in a health care setting as a Medical Assistant or a comparable position.
- Completion of Externship as Medical Assistant.
- Ability to read, speak, write, and comprehend the English language.
- Ability to complete mathematical computations required to perform tasks.
- Ability to lift, transfer, and move patients.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and oral communication skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in hospital and physician practice computer systems such as eCW, Meditech, AthenaNet and other comparable systems.
- Graduate of Medical Assistant Program preferred.
***Internal Applicants May Apply 10/12/16-10/19/16***