High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Admin. support experience in Healthcare setting preferred.
Computer skills are required.
Customer service skills are required.
The Medical Secretary is the first point of contact for all patients. This individual will access patient's records and verify according to procedure. The secretary will inform appropriate staff and/or clinicians of patient's arrival and will be responsible for booking of appointments in AthenaNet. The Medical Secretary will handle patient records in confidence in accordance with HIPPA.
• Answer phones
• Record all outgoing voicemail messages and check incoming messages
• Schedule office visit appointments for physicians including office based procedures and enter into electronic record
• Obtain all necessary insurance approvals and authorizations/referrals for all appointments
• Coordinates with the Medical Assistant to obtain insurance approvals for ancillary services such as physical therapy, MRI, TENS units, etc
• Checking all outgoing billing sheets and daily notes for completeness, scan through computer system to billing company to include scanning and/or faxing standard insurance information (demographics, financials, medical record data) to insurance companies, physician offices, SHCN, etc.
• Fielding patient billing issues and concerns to appropriate contact
• Enter facility charges into Meditech daily
• Pulling back up paper charts in the event that the EHR system goes offline.
• Mailing out instruction sheets to all procedural patients prior to appointment; new patient packets to new patients prior to appointment
• Mailing/Faxing/E-mailing out all notes to referring physicians and primary care physicians as needed
• Calling to confirm/follow-up on all patient appointments
• Verify all patient's insurance eligibility and collect applicable copayments
• Front desk duties including checking patients in, making sure all necessary paperwork is filled out, scheduling follow up appointments upon patient check out.
• Submit completed drug prior authorization requests to insurance companies.
• Take new patient information from referring physician offices and following up to ensure all needed information is received before scheduling patient
• Copy all outgoing prescriptions in the event of EHR downtime.
• Verifying appropriate protocols have been met before releasing medical records. Typing letters and other requested documents as needed.
• Screening all incoming mail and distributing to the appropriate party
• Other administrative tasks that may be requested by physician or nursing staff.
• Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Ability to read, write, speak and comprehend the English language.
• Computer skills required
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills required.
• Knowledge of insurance coverage systems, including but not limited to co-payments, referrals, HMO, PPO and capitated products, preferred.
• Proficiency in hospital and physician practice computer systems such as Meditech, Athena and other comparable systems.
I. Education: High School diploma or equivalent required
II. Experience: Administrative experience in a healthcare setting required. Medical terminology knowledge preferred.
III. Certification/Licensure: None
IV. Software/Hardware: Microsoft Word, Word Perfect, Pages or equivalent word processing tool, Athena, eCW, and Meditech preferred
***Internal Applicants May Apply 11/15/16-11/22/16***