Medical Laboratory Scientist
Join the REMARKABLE team at SwedishAmerican! As a division of UW Health, we offer patients local access to many world-class specialists right here in Rockford, Illinois and surrounding communities.
We are seeking a Medical Laboratory Scientist to:
- Join our world-class team of doctors, nurses and other health care professionals in providing everything from preventive health care to highly specialized programs.
- Provide quality care in a compassionate patient- and family- centered environment.
- Perform, interpret, and evaluate routine and complex laboratory procedures applying principles, theories and techniques of medical laboratory sciences.
- Perform analysis on following standard protocol and report results and findings in a timely fashion.
- Operate, calibrate, maintain and troubleshoot laboratory instruments following policy and procedures or manufacture's published specifications.
- Perform quality control and proficiency testing and accurately document according to established guidelines.
- Research and develop new procedures or instruments and participate in special projects as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college/university and successful completion on a NAACLS accredited Medical Laboratory Science program.
- Knowledge of current medical terminology and full range of laboratory tests and equipment.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with medical staff, patients and staff.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Successful completion of annual clinical, age and job specific competencies and skill verification tools required.
Licenses and Certifications:
- MLS or MLT employees are required to obtain ASCP (or equivalent with director approval) certification within the first year of employment.
- Extensions to obtain certification may be allowed up to an additional year if the employee is in good standing within the organization.
- Certification must be maintained by submitting appropriate continuing education documentation to certifying agency.
Physical Requirements:SwedishAmerican serving northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin communities--also a Magnet®-designated facility-- is dedicated to delivering high quality healthcare and strategies to keep our patients and their families well. In fact, quality drives all that we do. In recent years, our commitment to quality and excellence has resulted in more national awards, for quality and preference than any other health system in northern Illinois.
Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
SwedishAmerican offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Work experience that is relevant to the position will be taken into consideration when determining the starting base pay.
Learn more about our benefits at SAH
Explore SAH medical centers and clinic locations
SwedishAmerican, A division of UW Health values and embraces diversity and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.