Provides inhalation therapy designed to stabilize, prevent or remedy patient respiratory problems according to established procedures. Arranges and operates a variety of oxygen and other therapeutic gas and mist inhalation equipment to administer prescribed doses of medicinal gases and aerosolized drugs to patients. Checks equipment regularly for proper functioning and records data obtained during therapy in patient charts.
1. Actively demonstrates the organization’s mission and core values, and conducts oneself at all times in a manner consistent with these values.
2. Knows and adheres to all laws and regulations pertaining to patient health, safety and medical information.
3. Works within the limitations of associate’s student permit.
4. Reads and interprets physicians' orders to determine treatment requirements including type and duration of therapy, medication and dosages ordered.
5. Determines appropriate method of administering inhalants and precautions to be observed, and altars procedures as necessary to provide respiratory therapy in accordance with physicians' orders.
6. Confers with patients and/or family members to obtain pertinent patient information including history of respiratory problems, current medication, patient pulse rate and the like. Reviews patients' charts to obtain blood-gas report and other pertinent information.
7. Explains treatment procedures to patients and/or family members to allay fears and elicit cooperation.
8. Checks equipment for proper set-up, functioning and settings, and verifies physicians' orders before initiating procedures and treatments.
9. Observes patients during therapy, instructs patients in breath control and notifies supervisor immediately of patient distress.
10. Performs other duties consistent with purpose of job as directed.
Assigned hours within your shift, starting time, or days of work are subject to change based on departmental and/or organizational needs.