University of Maryland in Baltimore, Department of Neurology Administration is currently seeking a Senior Accountant. The selected candidate will perform advanced level review and complex analysis of accounting transactions to ensure completeness, accuracy, and conformance with uniform accounting principles and practices. May supervise staff.
· Serve as lead department accountant managing the most complex, high-volume accounting projects.
· Define and monitor critical path activities, resolve issues and escalate complex matters as needed to the appropriate contact(s).
· Verify accuracy of transactions and uniform application of policies, procedures, and acceptable standards.
· Receive, analyze, adjust, and prepare various internal/external financial ledgers, schedules, exhibits and summaries along with any assigned databases utilized for financial reporting.
· Examine and ensure integrity/reliability of the financial accounting system (PeopleSoft). Work with principal investigators, faculty, or staff members to identify potential ledger discrepancies between financial system and departmental records, providing statistical information to isolate these areas and recommend new procedures to prevent deviations or undesirable accounting trends.
· Monitor and delegate budgetary transactions (i.e., payroll, accounts receivable, forecasts) on a daily basis.
· Research and provide overview of procedures and programs for billing, receipt, collection, deposit, allocation of revenue to verify that the system is generating the appropriate entries.
· Develop policies, processes, and procedures to ensure consistent operations.
· Model and test various accounting scenarios to demonstrate impact of proposed policies and plans.
· Identify trends and develop solutions for processes that have adverse impact on departmental records. Serve as subject matter expert for Peoplesoft system upgrades and changes.
· Train and advise staff on best practices, policies, and procedures.
· May supervise or lead staff including performance management responsibilities.
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration (Master’s degree and/or additional certification is preferred and can be used to substitute for relevant experience).
· 3 years related experience.
· Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
· Credit history review may be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
· Advanced knowledge of best practices in field as well all relevant federal, state, and local rules, regulations, and programs/policies for meeting compliance.
· Ability to research, compile, compare, forecast, and interpret facts and figures to make sound judgments based upon this knowledge.
· Ability to effectively use analytical and organizational skills in order to carry out and follow through with complex assignments for which no clear precedents exist.
· Ability to provide consulting advice and expertise both orally and in writing to clients, peers, subordinates, and management.
· Ability to lead and participate in the development of policies and procedures.
· Ability to communicate and interact with, as well as support effective partnerships with peers and subordinates.
· Skill in serving as liaison with key external agencies, campuses, or other high level contacts.
· Skill in using Microsoft Office software and PeopleSoft financial system for advanced analysis and useful reporting.
· Ability to establish and communicate ongoing and new priorities and projects in order to meet scheduled deadlines.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
Closing Deadline: 3/01/2013
Original Posting Date: 2/15/2013
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.