The University of Maryland at Baltimore, Department of Radiation Oncology, is seeking a Senior Research Analyst for our growing medical physics division. We currently have research faculty in the Radiobiology, Medical Physics, Pre-Clinical Biology, and Clinical Research programs. The ideal candidate will provide guidance and technical expertise to the Chief of Medical Physics regarding advanced analytical solutions, project management and decision support systems that will be used in clinical research applications. This position is responsible for ensuring design, development, documentation and implementation of research procedures and protocols using a variety of complex activities.
1.) Perform analytical review using various tools.
2.) Perform mathematical modeling functions, and develop graphical user interface designs with the end result of impacting research surrounding tumor motion management, high through-put radiation treatment plan computing, organ-function-based treatment planning, 4-dimensional computed tomography and other relevant medical physics related research activities.
3.) Participate in the development of effective methods of data collection, assessment and implementation of new concepts, systems and process.
4.) Ensure validity and accuracy of data and compliance with quality control requirements.
5.) Ensure design, development and implementation of quantitative research projects, procedures and protocols using a variety of complex activities.
6.) Establish and maintain database files, perform required data extraction through programming and reports on progress of programs, studies, and/or projects.
7.) Provide guidance and technical expertise to the Chief of Medical Physics regarding advanced analytical solutions, project management and decision support systems that will be used in clinical research applications.
Bachelor’s degree in Information Management, Social Science, Public Policy, Mathematics, Statistics, Health Science or Services or in a field of study related to the research. Master’s degree preferred.
Two (2) years related experience in a research environment required. A unique combination of education and experience may be considered.*
An advanced degree in management science, engineering, physical sciences or a closely related field is preferred. The ideal candidate will have worked in an academic setting and have experience in research analysis and possess skills in statistical and data analysis. Experience in using programming languages such as C/C++ and applications such as Java, SQL and CPLEX is highly desirable.
*Bachelor’s degree in an unrelated field with at least 18 credits in a field related to the research of the clinic or laboratory, as appropriate, or Bachelor’s degree in unrelated field with at least one year of experience in a field directly related to the research of the clinic or laboratory, as appropriate. Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
· Must have the ability to communicate efficiently and effectively both orally and in writing.
· Knowledge of design of research studies and preparation of technical procedures and reports.
· Ability to understand and utilize scientific/medical terminology and research theory in both oral and written communications.
· Ability to provide theoretical, conceptual and writing support on research analysis andfindings.
· Knowledge of the using measurable and verifiable information for making decisions or judgments.
· Skill in statistical programming, interpretation and data analysis using statistical software as well as spreadsheet and database software applications. Develops policies, procedures, and introduces changes as necessary.
· Excellent organizational and project management skills.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality of subjects and information obtained.
· Ability to network with, and provide information to key groups and individuals.
· Ability to work as part of a team.
· Ability to use a consultative approach to resolve issues in area of responsibility.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
Filing Deadline: 11/30/2012
Posting Date: 11/16/2012
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.