The University of Maryland, Baltimore, Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology is currently recruiting for a Research Study Coordinator. Under direct supervision, serves as the primary technical support to a clinical drug trial or other research study. This position requires a medical background at the para-professional level.
1. Assists in identifying and recruiting volunteers to participate in clinical drug trials or other research studies.
2. Explains study objectives, risks, and benefits with potential volunteers to assist them in making decision regarding their participation.
3. Elicits a complete medical history and conducts physical assessments such as taking vital signs.
4. Implements research protocol including study drug, therapy, and/or invasive procedures. Routinely monitors participants to ensure that medications are being taken in accordance with research protocol.
5. Observes physical and emotional reactions to medications and/or treatments. Reports irregularities and adverse effects to appropriate medical personnel.
6. Obtains, processes, and transports specimens to appropriate laboratory according to established aseptic technique. Performs venipunctures and fingersticks to obtain blood specimens.
7. Completes case report forms and other records documenting activities such as treatments and medications received.
8. Facilitates clinic process by scheduling and following appointments; overseeing patient flow; preparing patients for procedures; preparing examination and treatment rooms; and maintaining clinic supplies.
9. Assists with planning, organizing, and implementing community special events and informational materials to educate and encourage participation in research study.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Four years directly related experience in a medical/research setting.
General knowledge of patient care, treatment, planning, and assessment. General knowledge of the principles of aseptic technique and infection control including blood and body fluid precautions. Ability to perform extensive standing and walking. General knowledge of skill and ability to perform various medical and nursing procedures and to operate medical equipment. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to operate computers and other office equipment. General knowledge of and compliance with confidentiality of records and communications regarding clients. Ability to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment in this job class may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examination to determine the ability to perform the job. Employees in this job class may be subject to pre-employment and random drug testing. Overtime, weekend, on-call and shift work may be required in some positions. Some positions may require current Practical Nurse licensure and compliance with the Maryland Nurse Practice Act for Licensed Practical Nurses.
Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are not eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union).
Salary Range: $32,271.00 - $42,785.50 - $53,300.00
Posting Date: 3/13/13
Filing Deadline: 3/20/13
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258