The University of Maryland, Baltimore, School of Medicine, Office of Research Affairs is currently seeking a Web Developer. The Web developer is responsible for general design, development, documentation and implementation of Internet-based applications to meet the needs of the University, school, or department, including BioMedical Research Supply and Services Core (BIORESCO), UMB research core support and web maintenance. Uses a variety of techniques and tools to achieve desired look and functionality. Maintains and modifies pages as needed.
* Uses a Content Management System (CMS) and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) to develop web pages.
* Ensures documentation is up-to-date and features, technical specifications, and infrastructure requirements for self-produced technical work and job processes.
* Identifies and addresses browser, client server, and internet systems specific architecture compatibility issues. Address HTML and scripting compatibility and integration issues between different browsers and computing platforms utilizing various design methodologies and object oriented environments.
* Conducts and maintains setup, installation, and management and all associated software and applications as needed by University, school, or department.
* Translates functional requirements into technical design and development projects.
* Bachelor’s degree in a related field. (Master’s degree and additional certification can be used to substitute for relevant experience). Computer Science or Information Systems curriculum preferred.
* Or equivalent of four (4) years combination of formal information systems & web education/training and/or web experience and knowledge of at least one (1) structured programming languages and relational database management systems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
* Ability to apply consultative skills to assess and evaluate user needs and communicate technology alternatives and solutions.
* Ability to develop application implementation plans, install software, and apply fixes.
* Ability to identify hardware/software interface problems.
* Knowledge of how to integrate all systems including operating systems, applications, networks, and databases, as well as knowledge of distributed processing technology.
* Ability to perform systems and applications needs analysis.
* Ability to support users and assist them in the use of web tool and technologies.
* Familiarity with existing campus-defined systems, applications, and standards.
* Knowledge of database design concepts.
* Knowledge of web technologies and database engine characteristics, structures, and programming
* Knowledge of system/equipment capability, programming & design restrictions, encryption, and security requirements.
* Must be able to continuously monitor industry trends, technologies, and standards and be able to research, recommend, and apply new technologies as they emerge
* Provide mentoring to those with less knowledge of web design and development.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
Filing Deadline: Open Until Filled
Posting Date: 3/13/13
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.