The Dental Assistant will prepare patients to be seen in the operatory, provide general chair side assistance, infection control, take x-rays, and perform other duties as assigned.
· Reviews with patient his/her medical history; ensuring that all consent forms are properly completed and signed.
- Charts the teeth according to instructions given by the dentist or dental hygienist.
· Insures that all instruments are properly prepared and arranged on the dental tray before the planned procedure is initiated.
· Assists with procedures carefully and thoroughly as instructed, ensuring use of proper techniques and equipment, and ensuring compliance with applicable OSHA and UHC guidelines.
· Disinfects the operatory with the provided surface disinfectant (e.g., light handles, cuspidor, and its workings, headrest, cavitron handles, curing lights, hand-pieces, etc.); Performs biological sterilization, monitors once a week, and maintains sterilization log; Disinfects and sterilizes all instruments carefully according to the written policy, returning to their proper place.
· Inventories, inspects, and maintains (e.g., oils hand pieces daily with designated lubricants) all dental equipment and instrumentation prior to its use to ensure proper functioning (i.e., free of defects), reporting all defects immediately to Dentist.
· Gives and explains both pre/post-operative instructions for oral surgical, periodontal, and endodontic surgical procedures.
· Orders and maintains supplies; ensures operatory is sufficiently stocked with disposals, tongue blades, suctioning devices, Q-tips, etc.
· Disinfects all incoming and outgoing lab cases according to policy.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
· Completion of an accredited CDA Program.
· DANB Certification.
· CPR Certified.
· At least two years of experience.
· Bilingual: English/Spanish preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of radiation protection standards, devices, and techniques.
- Possess knowledge of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation techniques.
- Possess knowledge for selecting appropriate radiographic technique exposure factors to produce radiographs.