The Physician (Department of Corrections) shall provide the Department of Corrections, Central Detention Facility and Correctional Treatment Facility, Health Services Division, comprehensive medical care as delineated by UHC. The Physician provides medical care to patients via patient assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of medical conditions, counseling, and comprehensive care.
· Provides preventive, diagnostic, and therapeutic services to patients in the DC Correctional Facilities.
· Obtains medical histories and conducts physical examinations and evaluations.
· Orders and interprets laboratory/radiology testing.
· Makes diagnoses and prescribes therapeutic measures of care including legend drugs and controlled substances.
· Counsels patient and provides teaching for health maintenance and specific health problems and develops and participates in screening programs.
· Makes appropriate referrals to specialists and hospitals.
· Recognizes and manages common acute and chronic illnesses within her/his scope of practice.
· Provides immediate emergency care as needed and makes arrangement for transport to appropriate hospital or health service when necessary.
· Collaborates with health care team regarding treatments, referrals, and follow-up care of patients.
· Follows established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives, continuous quality improvement objectives, and safety, environmental, and/or infection control standards.
· Performs chronic care, sick call, and urgent care services as needed.
· Provides coverage as needed to include at least one holiday shift per year.
· Supervises midlevels and reviews and signs physician assistant charts as needed.
· May also supervise/train Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, medical students, and residents within scope of Physician's practice.
· Performs other related duties as required, which may include providing on-call telephone consultation and admitting and following patients through hospitalizations, if authorized.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field.
The Physician does not have any direct reports.
· Must have and maintain current DC MD, DEA, and CDS Licenses.
· Should preferably have 2-3 years experience in ambulatory care setting with some experience in a correctional facility.