The Licensed Practical Nurse shall provide the Unity Health Care Department of Corrections Health Center nursing care as delineated by UHC. The LPN is a licensed nurse capable of providing basic patient care. He/She must be skilled in completing nursing intake and performing routine nursing procedures such as venipuncture, IV insertion, and management of patients.
· Assures that nursing documentation, not limited to flow sheets, intake sheets, and VAR, are completed per policy and standards.
· Performs primary nursing procedures (i.e. venipuncture, UA, finger sticks, assessments, patient intake, daily review/update of medical records and logs).
· Administers medications per the directive of the provider and documents accordingly.
· Ensures that medical care and follow-up are planned and documented specially for each patient.
· Coordinates the quality control checks for the glucometers and any other waive testing.
· Providers wound care to designated patients when ordered by provider.
· Works with various departments to assure compliance with federal, state, and local health care regulation.
· Completes charts audits under the direction of the Nurse Manager.
· Monitors the use of and orders supplies under the direction of the Nurse Manager.
· Assures that the exam rooms are standardized and ready for use.
· Assists the providers as necessary during physical examination.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to articulate Unity's mission through his/her work.
· Graduate of an accredited school of nursing (Practical Nursing).
· At least 2 years of recent acute care experience in medical surgical, emergency care, or urgent care, correctional health.
· Current CPR certification.
· Licensed or eligibility as LPN in DC.
· Bilingual: English/Spanish preferred.
· Experience working with underserved or homeless populations preferred.
· Correctional experience preferred, but not required.