Under the supervision of the Infectious Disease Nurse Manager Coordinator, the HIV Nurse Care Manager provides clinical, educational, and administrative services to HIV-positive clients. This position works with the providers, clients, Unity staff members, and external referrals to ensure care is available according to Unity's standard of care.
MAJOR DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
· Develops and monitors a tracking process for HIV patients that meet the care management criteria.
· Meets at least monthly with all patients with CD4 less than 200, or sick or at risk (elderly, pregnant, disengaged from care), according to protocol. Assists the patient in developing a plan of care relevant to HIV/AIDS.
· Completes nurse assessment documentation for each encounter.
· Completes follow-up on appointments, x-rays, lab work, hospital visits, and ensures the information is accurately and promptly charted. Amends the plan of care based on current medical/social information.
· Coordinates care with an infectious disease physician. Within the CHC, works and travels with the physician to ensure care at various sites within the Unity Health Care network.
· Checks medications prescribed, and verifies that patient understands the reason, and he/she is taking medications as prescribed. Assesses side effects of medications. Assists the patient in developing a medication schedule and individualized adherence strategies.
· Assists the provider in completing forms relevant to any virologic/genotype-phenotype testing.
· Performs regular checks of nutritional and psychological status. Provides pertinent HIV/AIDS education, with appropriate appointments and referrals as necessary.
· Assesses the need for social services, makes the appropriate referral and follows up.
· Provides statistical data to the Infectious Diseases RN Care Management coordinator and DOC DON on panel size, case load, and compliance on at least a monthly basis.
· Conducts charts audits on a monthly basis to assure that Unity Health Care is providing quality care.
· Provides quality care based on HIV protocols and recommendations.
· Assists patients in the transition and coordination of care in the CHC upon release from DOC.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· BSN preferred, current DC license.
· Minimum of two years experience of working with HIV/AIDS patients preferred.
· Minimum of four years of recent experience in acute care, correctional health and/or ambulatory care setting.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Ability to assist in directing the care of the HIV/AIDS patients.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.Ability to articulate Unity's mission through his/her work.