The Medical Assistant (DOC) shall provide the Department of Corrections, Central Detention Facility, Health Services Division, comprehensive medical services as delineated by UHC. A Medical Assistant provides basic patient care in an ambulatory clinic setting. Working with health care providers and other health center employees, the Medical Assistant is an integral part of the patient care team. The Medical Assistant is directly responsible for, but not limited to, initiating medical history, vital signs, height, weight, preparing patients for examination, reporting special problems or complaints to providers, making appropriate clinic appointments for patients, and follow-up to determine if appointments were kept.
· Maintains patient and chart confidentiality.
· Prepares patient and chart for provider visit, reports special problems or complaints to the provider, assists during exam as needed.
· Accurately performs and records basic vital signs, height, weight, chief complaint and initiates medical history for adult and pediatric patients.
· Performs routine lab and patient procedures (i.e. simple dressing changes, urine dipsticks, phlebotomy, finger/heel sticks, injections/immunizations, EKG.)
· Makes appropriate referral appointments/referrals for patients and follows up to determine if appointments were kept as scheduled.
· Participates in medical record maintenance and appropriate completion and disposition of encounter forms.
· Requests and uses supplies as needed for patient care.
· Reviews chart after treatment for appropriate signatures, authorizations, relevant data, and follow-up and discharge instructions.
· Communicates and assist in effective discharge of the patient.
· Maintains proper cleanliness and organization of office and medical areas including restocking supplies.
· Follows universal precautions and Unity Health Care policies and procedures.
· Participates in clinic record keeping, including medical and operational logs.
· Demonstrates appropriate customer service with internal and external customers.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Graduate of accredited Medical Assistant program with diploma.
· Registered Medical Assistant certification preferred.
· High school graduate or GED.
· Current BLS + AED CPR certification
· Minimum of 6 months to 1 year of clinical experience in an acute care/ambulatory setting/ special needs population (i.e. homeless, HIV+, medically indigent).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED FOR THE POSITION
· Must successfully pass Unity Medical Assistant screening test.
· Effective communication and interpersonal skills with internal and external customers.
· Bilingual: English/Spanish preferred.
· Willingness to articulate Unity's mission through his/her work.