The Telephone Triage Registered Nurse will be responsible for appropriately assessing patients' health status via telephone to determine the level of care needed, providing clinical advice, and coordinating the patients' care utilizing the appropriate resources. The Telephone Triage Registered Nurse will work in collaboration with the ED Diversion Team, Providers and other Unity Health Care (UHC) staff members to promote positive health outcomes. The incumbent must be skilled in completing nursing assessments using critical thinking consistently adhering to UHC's policies and protocols and best practices.
MAJOR DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
· Works closely with the UHC Patient Scheduling Center staff to respond to patient requests in a timely fashion.
· Through the nursing process, using specific protocols and established resources: routinely performs a thorough assessment of the patients' chief complaint/condition, provides appropriate and courteous telephone advice, formulates and recommends a plan of care, and validates the care plan with the patient for understanding and accuracy.
· Coordinates the patients' treatment plan of care with Providers when clinical guidance is needed.
· Assists with coordination of care between hospitals and providers providing care to Unity Health Care's patients.
· Refers patients appropriately to clinical, social, or behavioral health services.
· Provides clinical information to other medical offices, hospitals, pharmacies, and insurance companies upon request.
· Provides basic information on laboratory test results.
· Follows all UHC documentation protocols.
· Records and tracks patient data related to emergency room visits and referrals to unity sites.
· Schedules appointments for patients at Unity Health Care locations and monitors patient show rates.
· Provides education to patients regarding Unity services and how to access care and treatment at the health centers.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· DC Registered Nurse licensure.
· Current CPR certification.
· Graduate of an accredited school of nursing (BSN).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
· Minimum of two years of recent acute care experience in medical surgical, emergency care, or urgent care.
· Triage experience preferred.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.