The Telecommunication Technician is responsible for responding to the directives given by the Telecommunication Manager. The incumbent provides reports, completes requests for new service, and determines methodology for installing telephone service. Determines appropriateness of moderate equipment changes or modifications including call switches, test trunks and test links, and installs communication circuits. The requested services include traditional wired telephone service, cellular telephone service, and pager service, as well as data and video communications systems and in-facility intercoms.
Required Education/Required Training:
· High School Diploma or GED required
· Associates Degree in a related field preferred.
· A minimum of five (5) years of experience with installing and terminating copper and fiber cables.
· A minimum of five (5) years performing punch downs of 110 and 66 blocks, patch panels, etc.
· Valid state motor vehicle operator's license, (candidate operator's license must remain point free and fully insurable to occupy this position).
· Primarily works independently and confers with Telecommunication Manager of resources needed to perform preventive maintenance, installation and repairs to telecommunication systems
· Provides direction and leadership to staff assigned to assist with telecommunication duties and activities
· Ability to troubleshoot and perform minor and some major repairs related to daily work order requests
· Possess skills to trouble-shoot equipment and inspect equipment for proper function.
· Ability to read instructions in installation, technical and repair manuals printed instructions in English.
· Possess knowledge and skills in the correct and safe use of manual and powered hand tools.
· Ability to take appropriate action to repair or cause the repair of malfunctioning telecommunication equipment
Experience working with underserved or homeless populations preferred. * For correctional position-correctional experience- preferred but not required.