Under the supervision of the Director of Grants Management the Contract Specialist will act as a central point of contact for the Grants Department and serve as a resource for information about the departments' awards and their terms and conditions. The Contract Specialist is responsible for organizing grant development, financial management, and grant administration to ensure compliance with regulatory, funding agency, and policy requirements. The Contract Specialist coordinates pre- and post- award management including timely submission of required documentation; financial and progress reports, and assures compliance with Federal, State and local laws and management guidelines. This person will support the department in audit preparation and support for all sponsored activities. While a number of individuals and departments within the organization are involved in grant related activities, the Contract Specialist is responsible for tracking compliance for each sponsored program and establishes and maintains the organization's official records for all awards.
1. Supports operational efficiency for the Grants Management Department.
2. Provide technical support for the full life cycle of grants and/or contracts:
• Facilitates efficient proposal development including but not limited to the research and review of funding opportunities, solicitation preparation support and budget development.
• Reviews grants and contract provisions to ensure the organization remains current in federal, state and local regulations and compliance requirements related to grants and contract management.
• Ensures comprehensive grant administration; monitors project leads commitment to programmatic and fiscal requirements; review and support of required submissions; and maintains administrative files for tracking of all grant activities.
• Serves as a central point of contact between the Unity and funding agencies, and contract entities; drafts, and sends formal responses to funder requests.
• Stays abreast of Federal, State, and local laws, rules and regulations pertaining to grants and contracts.
• Coordinates receipt of awards and contract documentation; maintains proposal and administrative grant records (including reports, budgets, invoices and formal communication), and prepares scheduled and special reports, studies, and analyses of department grant funds; uploads executed contracts into policytech software.
• Manages grant activity calendar and coordinate with project areas on application deadlines, progress report due dates, and submission of key deliverables.
• Reviews and evaluates in coordination with grants accountant budgets for correct calculation of expenditure categories including personnel, other direct and/or indirect expenses.
• Manages grant submissions and modification requirements through Federal, State, Local and/or other sponsored activity portals (i.e., EHBS, EGMS, GrantSolutions, etc.).
• Supports monthly data reporting for grants/contracts (includes gathering, compiling, data entry and submission).
• Works with program and/or finance staff on workforce allocations for grant and contract administration; Maintains and updates current staff allocation tracking visual.
• Monitors the progress of funded projects and appropriateness of expenditures and advises staff on potential compliance issues.
• Maintains department audit binders for all major programs/funding sources.
• Guides and/or facilitates discussions with staff in the development and preparation of proposals and contract, sub-contracts, and agreements, to including budgets, documentation, and interpretation of funding requirements.
• Ensures that grant applications are supported by proper documentation, certifications and other essential information required (i.e., target dates and times, formatting, page; budget limits, and eligibility details) in order to make the grant process work effectively and efficiently.
• Identifies potential funding sources which have a proven track record and align with organizational/project priorities and follow up on potential leads as assigned.
• Documents best practice including processes and procedures for contract and grant administration and identify opportunities for improvement.
• Represents the organization/department at external meeting when necessary.
• Participates and/or assists in special projects, and performs associated administrative duties, as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Work requires comprehensive understanding of practical knowledge of substantive contract and grant administration principles, practices, and methods to provide technical support and guidance to include excellent organizational, facilitation, budgeting, and planning skills.
Minimum Experience: 2+ years of experience working in contract and/or grant management or administration.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's Degree in relevant field or work equivalent.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
· Must be well organized and have detail oriented approach.
· Ability and willingness to learn new systems, techniques and procedures.
· Proficiency in Excel, Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat.
· Ability to prioritize, plan and execute multiple grants and contracts submissions in a timely manner.
· Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Ability to work as an effective team member.
· Demonstrated success in a deadline-driven environment and ability to complete projects on-schedule with a high standard of quality.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of stakeholders in a diverse community.
· Information research and records maintenance skills.
· Knowledge of basic budgeting skills.
· Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions with sound judgment.
· Knowledge of federal, state and/or community funding sources and mechanisms.
· Some writing experience preferred.