Title: Cook Supervisor
Location: Arlington, VA
Purpose and Scope:
Working as part of a team in the Food and Nutrition Services Department, the Cook Supervisor directs other cooks and produces assigned menu items according to standarized recipe. The supervisor will perform tasks such as cooking and presenting meals for patients, employees and customers of Virginia Hospital Center. Incumbent will follow proper food handling procedures, maintain production records and HACCP controls, and participate in catering and special events as required. The ability to work under minimal supervision and accomplish tasks in a fast paced environment following departmental guidelines is required.
I. Position Requirements:
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
- To be able to cook using a repertoire of cooking methods including poaching, braising, roasting, char broiling, sautéing, grilling, frying, and baking.
- To produce "from scratch" menu quality recipes in appropriate portion size, cut and quantity while effectively controlling waste and limiting leftovers.
- To ensure all food is prepared and presented in accordance with all assigned recipes and presentations.
- To handle, prepare and cook all food items according to all appropriate safe food handling and sanitary protocols and procedures
- To strictly adhere to all safety standards and protocols for the proper storage, labeling and dating of meats, vegetables, fruits, dairy and dry good products.
- To show a consistent professional and positive attitude and actions when communicating with patients, guests, associates and vendors.
- To arrive to work on time and when scheduled, and in proper uniform, with a willingness to perform special projects and other responsibilities as assigned.