Title of Position: ASCP Medical Technologist
Department: Clinical Laboratory
Supervisor’s Title: Director of Laboratory
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Functions Responsible for: n/a
Last Revised: March 2012
We create the healthcare experience of choice…every time.
The Medical Technologist performs standard routine, complex, automated and manual laboratory techniques on all age groups without direct supervision; may perform blood collection using age specific techniques;
Demonstrates behaviors which contribute to the growth and achievement of Memorial’s mission and fiscal health:
1. Is respectful of all people internally and externally,
2. Shows compassion for all,
3. Accountable to commitments and the organization,
4. Demonstrates safety in all actions,
5. Behaves in a manner which promotes teamwork,
6. Continually strives for excellence.
1. Consider the priority and urgency of test results (STAT, ASAP, Panic Values, etc.) and report those results within the established time frame and with documentation.
2. Maintains confidentiality of patient information
3. Take part in proficiency sample testing, when appropriate
4. Performs, evaluates, and records quality control and institutes corrective action as appropriate
5. Ensures proper functioning of laboratory equipment by performing calibrations, preventative and corrective maintenance, and troubleshooting basic instrument malfunctions
6. Assist with the teaching of CLS students and new employees.
7. Interacts with other healthcare workers to solve problems and interpret patient lab results
8. Maintain competencies in areas worked
9. Supports and participates in Q Plus (or other performance improvement) activities
10. Assists in evaluation of new methods and equipment
11. Utilize supplies and equipment adequately but not excessively
12. Complete work in established/reasonable timeframes
13. Be an active ingredient in the efforts to improve our community’s well-being.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Education: Bachelor’s of Science degree that meets CLIA requirements for testing personnel.
Experience: Recent hospital laboratory experience preferred.
Licenses/Certificates/Registration: Registered MT (ASCP) or equivalent, BLS, Medical Assistant Phlebotomist (if person collects blood)
Level of Business Knowledge/Knowledge/Skills/Abilities:
a. Ability to speak, understand, remember, and apply oral and/or written instructions in English.
b. Ability to recognize priorities and assist others when the workload demands
c. Uses good judgment in handling situations not covered by written or verbal instructions.
2. Reasoning and Decision Making
a. Ability to follow through on questionable test results or instrument performance to insure accuracy by checking reagents, troubleshooting, specimen requirements, instrument status, etc
a. Ability to work under pressure and maintain quality of detailed work while meeting competing and inflexible deadlines.
b. Maintain orderliness and cleanliness of work areas and equipment
a. Ability to communicate with co-workers, medical staff, and patients in a positive and professional manner
b. Ability to maintain current lab computer competence
5. Physical requirements for this position include: hearing, seeing (color discrimination), speaking, feeling, reaching, pinching, kneeling, squatting, grasping and repetitive motions.
a. This position requires standing and walking for long periods of time.
b. This position requires exerting up to 40 pounds of force in order to lift, carry, pull, or move objects.
“Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital provides reasonable accommodations to assist qualified individuals in order to perform the essential duties/requirements their job requires. The description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements and serves as merely a summary rather than a complete listing of duties. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions may change as needs evolve. This job description does not constitute a contract as employment is at will.”