Title of Position: Secretary
Supervisor’s Title: Department supervisor or manager
Exemption Status: Non Exempt
Functions Responsible for: N/A
Last Revised: April 2013
We create the healthcare experience of choice…every time.
The Secretary is responsible for assisting with a variety of routine tasks, providing clerical support to the department.
Demonstrates behaviors which contribute to the growth and achievement of Memorial’s mission and fiscal health:
· Is respectful of all people internally and externally,
· Shows compassion for all,
· Accountable to commitments and the organization,
· Demonstrates safety in all actions,
· Behaves in a manner which promotes teamwork,
· Continually strives for excellence.
1) Performs clerical and general office duties appropriately, this includes but is not limited to answering phones, routing incoming mail, composing routine correspondence, and maintaining office files and records.
2) Assists with copying forms as needed, opening reading and routing incoming mail; composing routine outgoing correspondence; maintaining files and records; and typing and routing all outgoing correspondence.
3) Attend and assist with required department meetings.
4) Assist with set-up and clean up of departmental activities when needed. (when needed so we can use this organization wide, I understand that this specific duty may not be applicable to your department)
5) Perform department projects as well as generate accurate and timely reports as requested by supervision.
6) Demonstrate a polite, helpful, positive manner when answering the telephone and when greeting visitors to the department, directing to the appropriate resource as needed.
7) Provide support services for departmental activities, events and educational offerings.
8) Communicates data effectively to internal and external recipients.
9) Responds to changes as necessary; demonstrates flexibility in view of interruptions; functions as a steadily productive employee.
10) Utilizes equipment and supplies adequately and communicates if inventory is low.
11) Collaborates with Staff to ensure completion of necessary documentation.
12) Cross train to other roles within the department to assist in coverage needs as necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent required
Experience: Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer applications required.
Level of Business Knowledge/Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Clerical/Customer Service required. May need to understand medical terminology and medical charting if applicable to department or work duties.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate clearly in English
- Ability to remember, understand, and apply oral and or written instructions.
- Reasoning and Decision Making
- Ability to plan, organize and carry out assignments from management staff with minimal direction.
- Ability to analyze situations, think critically, interpret data, and make decisions that have moderate impact on immediate work unit.
- Ability to prioritize and execute a variety of tasks simultaneously and work with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize job duties in an effective and timely manner, set priorities and meet critical deadlines.
- Communicate pertinent information to supervisors and all others as appropriate.
- Physical requirements for this position include: hearing, seeing, speaking, feeling, reaching, pinching, and repetitive motions
- This position requires sitting for moderate periods of time. Walking and/or standing are required routinely.
- This position requires exerting up to 25 pounds of force in order to lift, carry, pull, or move objects.
“Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital provides reasonable accommodations to assist qualified individuals in order to perform the essential duties/requirements their job requires. The description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements and serves as merely a summary rather than a complete listing of duties. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions may change as needs evolve.”